The Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club (PVGRC), a non-profit organization, was formed in 1968 to promote the purebred Golden Retriever and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection.
We urge members and breeders to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club (AKC) as the only standard of excellence by which Golden Retrievers shall be judged; we do all in our power to protect and advance the interests of the breed by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows as well as conducting sanctioned and licensed specialty shows, field events, obedience trials, and agility trials under the rules of the AKC.
At present we have members ranging from South Carolina to New York, with the heaviest concentration in the Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania areas. Our membership runs about 400, with 60 members being the most active.
We are a member Club of the Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA), which in turn, is a member of the AKC. We are eligible to host Regional and National Specialty Shows and Trials, as well as our own Independent Specialty.
Some of our club activities include:
- General membership meetings and educational programs are held 6 times throughout the year in conjunction with different PVGRC events. Meeting dates will be posted on the club calendar and in the newsletter.
- Field and tracking training sessions.
- Specialty show, obedience and rally trials held on the second Saturday of each April.
- WC/WCX field test held in the spring and fall.
- Specialty conformation, obedience and rally match each August/September.
- AKC Agility Trials in June and August.
- AKC Hunting Retriever Test each September/October
- AKC Tracking Test in November
- Annual “K9 Olympics” fun day and a “Veterans Day” honoring our senior Goldens; as well as puppy and adult retrieving events.
All are welcome at any of the meetings or functions hosted by PVGRC. Dues are presently $25 for a family, $20 for singles, and junior members free (under 18).
We publish a newsletter every other month, containing a calendar of upcoming events; field, obedience, rally, agility and show results for club members; various informational articles of interest, along with medical information relating to our Goldens.
Each year at our annual Awards Banquet, club members and their dogs are honored with rosettes and trophies recognizing their accomplishments during the year.
Many of our members also belong to GRREAT (Golden Retriever Rescue, Education and Training). This organization got its start from some very dedicated members of PVGRC. The group works feverishly to make sure homes are found for any unwanted or abused Goldens and those found in shelters ready for euthanasia. Foster homes are always in demand while these dogs await adoption.
We look forward to educating and welcoming into membership all who are crazy about Goldens as the rest of us…. come join us!